Saturday, August 29, 2009

Psalm 121:1, 2 Friday

I lift up my eyes to the hills--where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, THE MAKER OF heaven and EARTH. Psalm 121:1, 2

Moses tells us in Genesis 1:2 that in the beginning "the earth was formless and empty"; the NASV says it was "formless and void." Only in Jeremiah 4:23 is this phrase used again. These two words, formless and void, give structure to the first six days of creation. God's "separating" and "gathering" on days one through three give form.

"And God separated the light from the darkness"; and "God separated the water from the waters"; and "God made the expanse, and separated the waters under the expanse from the water above it." "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." "and the gathered waters be called 'seas'."

And His "making" and "filling" on days four through six removed the void.

"God made the two great lights--the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars." "And God said, "Let the water teem with swarms of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth in the open expanse of the heavens." "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth." "And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind."

The earth was formless so God separated and gathered; it was void so he made and filled it.
And then in the same verse that tells us "the earth was formless and void," Moses tells us that "darkness was over the surface of the deep and the Spirit of God was moving over the surface of the waters." Genesis 1:2

My life, like the earth, is formless and void--empty-- until God fill me. I am separated from the world of darkness, and gathered into his fold. His SON is the light. I am made in His image. I am filled with the Holy Spirit. I am to be fruitful and multiply-- make disciples of all nations. His Spirit overwhelms me. Deep calls to deep.

I was formless and void. He made and filled me.
He is the potter. I am the clay.
I am an EARTHen vessel.

No comments:

Post a Comment