Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Psalm 119:105 Thursday

“Your word is a lamp for my foot and a light on my path.” Psalm 119:105

When I saw the word “foot” in the Complete Jewish Bible, I checked to see what Young’s Literal Translation said and sure enough the verse reads, “A lamp to my foot [is] Thy word, And a light to my path.” I love that, because what I believe about God’s plan and mine, is substantiated in this translation.

“Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord purpose that prevails.” Pro. 19:21

Do I think we ought to throw caution to the wind and not make any plans? No, I don’t. But what I’ve learned over the last 54 years is that when I think I have the plan, God always shows me who’s in charge.

His word is a lamp for my foot—not feet—my foot. When I have considered this verse in the past, I have visualized myself walking down this path with both feet on the path. But when I visualized this verse today, after reading it in the original language, I saw one foot at a time, not two, going down the path. I saw one foot in the air freeze-framed at all times, with the other on the ground. I am not determining my “walk” I am raising my foot for God to determine my walk. Where I want to go and where He wants me to go may be two entirely different places.

I can look back over my life and see where God’s plan and mine did not coincide.

I was going to be physically fit all my life. I was not by the age of 30.

I was never going to marry. I married.

I was going to be a high school English teacher for life. I taught for two years.

I was going to have three children. I had two children and a hysterectomy.

I was going to climb the corporate ladder. I became a stay-at-home mom.

I was going to speak publically for God because I hated writing. Now I’m writing publically for God and not speaking.

God has proved over and over again that I do not know what will happen tomorrow. That my life is a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. That I must say, “If it is the Lord’s will, I will do this or that.”

“By faith, Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as an inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going.” Heb. 11:8

“I know, O Lord, that a man’s life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.” Jer. 10:23

My we have the willingness to raise our foot, honoring God wherever it lands.

No comments:

Post a Comment