Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Isaiah 40:11 Tuesday

He tends his flock like a shepherd; HE GATHERS THE LAMBS IN HIS ARMS and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young. Isaiah 40:11

The following excerpt, taken from Steve Brown's book Approaching God, pages 20 and 21 is what immediately came to my mind when I thought about today's meditation. I think after reading it you will agree, it requires no further explanation as to why I chose it. After determining which type of lamb you are, visualize for yourself how Jesus is carrying you.

"A number of years ago a young woman came into my study without knocking. No respect for the clergy. I looked up from the book I was reading and asked her if I could help her."No," she said, grinning, "I'm going to help you. I have something that you will use in a sermon sometime. Last night I went to a Bible study, and the Bible teacher said something that you will like. She said, 'It is hard to hug a stiff kid.'"

"That's good," I said, remembering how difficult it was to hug our teenage daughters, especially when they were angry and sullen--sort of like hugging a telephone pole."

But that's not all. Last night after the Bible study, I went to baby-sit a two-year-old boy. He had been playing in the dirt all day and was the dirtiest kid I've ever seen. When I went into his room, he lifted up his arms to be hugged. Do you know," she asked, "what I learned?'

"What?"

"That it is easier to hug a dirty kid than it is to hug a stiff kid."

Now read it like this:

That it is easier to hug a dirty lamb that it is to hug a stiff lamb.

He tends his flock like a shepherd; HE GATHERS THE LAMBS IN HIS ARMS and carries them close to His heart.

hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment