Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Psalm 46:10 Wednesday

"Be still AND KNOW that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

Why does God want me to be still in the first place? Is it just to gain knowledge? No. He wants my knowledge of Him to lead to my exalting Him. Stillness and knowledge are not the goal; they are the means to the goal. If our knowledge of Him is for knowledge’ sake, we become arrogant, exemplifying the verse, “Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.” Our knowledge of God must result in Him being exalted or we become puffed up and legalistic, exalting ourselves for having the knowledge.

When the twin towers went down on 9/11, I realized the connection between being still and God being exalted. I had never even paid attention to the last part of this verse. But on 9/11 man fleshed this out in the most visible way I’ve ever seen. Man was made to be still, much like the sheep in Psalm 23 who is MADE to lie down in green pastures. And as a result of being still, man’s eyes became focused on God. I’m sure many people came to know Him in a way they had never known before. Albeit it was for a short time, but for a short time God was exalted, his power was manifest and man paid attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment