Sunday, May 23, 2010

Even this day he rejoiced

Sunday as I was pondering what I was going to say about Psalm 118: 24, I read back over all the things the Psalmist says about God and realized if I could say these same sixteen things every day, I would have no problem sayng “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it” either. This day and every day I need to remember what the Psalmist says about God.

The Lord is good.

His love endures forever.

He set me free.

He is with me; I will not be afraid.

He is my helper.

He gives me power in his name.

He is my strength and song.

He is my salvation.

He does mighty things with his righteous right hand.

He opens the gates of righteousness.

He answers me.

He has become my salvation.

He makes his light shine upon us.

He is my God.

He is good.

His love endures forever.

Scholars believe this was the Psalm Jesus and the disciples sang in the upper room the night of Jesus’ betrayal. “Psalm 113-118 comprise a rich 6-psalm praise to God commonly called the “Egyptian Hallel” meaning praise in Hebrew. These were sung at Passover, Pentecost, and Tabernacles, but had the greatest significance at Passover. Traditionally Pss. 113, 114 were sung before the Passover meal and Pss. 115-118 afterwards. Psalm 118 would most likely be what Christ and the disciples sang before they left the upper room the night Christ was betrayed.” The MacArthur Study Bible.

What light this sheds on how Jesus must have felt when he sang, “This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it," when he knew he was going to be betrayed that very night. I can't imagine how He must have felt when He sang those words.

No comments:

Post a Comment