Sunday, May 23, 2010

More Than Conquerors

"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." Romans 8:37


Okay, since I have this, "I've-just-had-a-stomach-bug-and-I'm-washed-out" brain today, I've known all along which verse we were going to meditate on for the week, I've just not had the wherewithal to write about it. So, as God usually does, this afternoon, he gave me just enough energy to get off the couch, go to Wal Mart and buy some peppermint tea, enabling me to meet Jordan, who, as God knew, gave me the words to write this post. Jordan was the adorable little boy who had the big, large, okay huge, brown, fluffy, straggly, slightly matted hair who had lost his mother or grandmother (I couldn't tell which) who looked like both he and she were from maybe Jordan or India, Pakistan or someplace like that.


Anyway, I found Jordan near the cosmetics department looking down each aisle going from one to the other as he said, I'm sure, the name of the person he was looking for. At this time I didn't know whom; I just assumed he was. I took his hand, doubting he would take it, and was amazed but glad when he did. I asked if he was lost; he just looked at me. I asked if I could help him find someone; I couldn't understand him. Then I asked him his name and he said, and I understood, Jordan. I asked Jordan where he thought his mother was and he pointed toward the produce where, sure enough, she was. She walked toward us, acknowledged me, scowled at him and then I told her I had found him down near the vitamins -- medicine. From her reaction I knew I shouldn't have said the word "medicine," so I went back and said "cosmetics" pointing to my eyes like blush and pointing to my cheeks like rouge. She understood, thanked me and we went our separate ways.


Please don't think I'm equating myself to Jesus or God's love right now, by all means I'm not. But for this "I've-just-had-a-stomach-virus" brain of mine right now, this is what this sitation spoke to me. I felt like I was Jordan's conqueror -- I was the love that stood between Jordan and his mother -- I was not going to let anything separate him from his mom; I represented the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Who knows? This may have been the reason God got me off the couch at 4:30 on Sunday (Super Bowl) night, i.e., to reunite Jordan with his mother.


No one can oppose us (Romans 8:31-32). No one can accuse us (Romans 8:33). No one can separate us (Romans 8:35) from the love of Christ. "Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?" "No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us." Romans 8:35, 37.


Today, more than ever, I realized the important part, the hardest part, was Christ being the one who conquered. My part is to accept him and never let go of his hand. Somehow I had thought my part was convincing myself that I truly was more than a conqueror; I had put the emphasis on me realizing it, rather than Christ making it possible.


I got a glimpse today after re-connecting Jordan with his mother, how God must feel when he offers his son and people reject him. I wanted so desperately for Jordan to take my hand because I knew if he would, he would be rescued...I had no doubt.

_______________________


This morning, after having a good night's sleep, this is what came to me:

When I first found Jordan, I could not make him take my hand.

I was not going to take my hand away; he just had to take it.

When he took my hand, he just had to trust.

I knew my intentions -- I knew my power -- whether he knew or not.

His not knowing did not diminish either.

When Jordan took my hand, I wouldn't let go.

If he let go it would be his choice.

If he let go of my hand, I would always take him back.

I knew Jordan's name and I would never forget it.

I knew he got a glimpse of who I was and if he got lost again he could find me.

No comments:

Post a Comment