Sunday, May 23, 2010

My prayer - Titus 2

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Matthew 5:3


Yesterday before I ever got out of bed, I felt compelled to write down on paper what I want us to meditate on for the rest of the year. I was wondering if I could continue doing what I’ve been doing, starting each week listing the progression of the meditations, making it last until the end of the year; so I started writing to see if I could; and I could. The Spirit guided me until I wrote His plan for the entire year. I must tell you, what He tells me I need to do and what I think I can do are miles apart, leaving me guessing what I’m going to be writing in September. I have no idea what I’m going to learn, even with me thinking I'm picking the topic, which I’ve discovered this week, writing about what "poor in spirit" means.


This is what happened that taught me the lesson I learned yesterday morning.


While praying I decided to bear my soul to God (as though he didn’t know already) listing everything that was wrong with a particular situation and how I wanted him to fix it. I mentioned at least six things I thought needed to change, doubting if they ever could or would. I saw the situation as hopeless – one I doubted even He could solve, at least in the next ten years. I just spit it all out until I got everything off my chest, realizing at the end of my “sermon” how foolish I had been, thinking I was telling God something He didn’t already know or had suggestions He hadn't ever thought about. I had sounded haughty, arrogant, pompous, presumptuous, and demanding. Yet, I believe God heard me. He listened; I know he did. I know He knows, He sees and He cares – perfectly, completely, grace-fully, much more than I can. I know, deep down He will solve this, in His time, in His own terms, in His own way.


Everything I had told God about this situation revealed how much I thought I could control it. And that’s an indictment against me. Did I really think I could bring something to God’s attention he didn’t yet know or a solution he hadn’t yet tried?


“God would you please, please, please, please, please do this, this, this, and this because that’s what I, I, I, I, I, think would be best?” “Don’t you agree with me, God, on that?"


“Blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”


“Poor in spirit” – empty of self and its desires. Knowing who’s in control and who’s not. Laying yourself at Jesus’ feet knowing His will is right (no perfect) better than yours – knowing His will will be done – without your permission.


Knowing:


The law of the Lord is perfect – reviving the soul.
The statues of the Lord are trustworthy – making wise the simple.
The precepts of the Lord are right – giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant – giving light to the eyes.




The poor in spirit says, “YOU are perfect. YOU are trustworthy. YOU are right. YOU are radiant while I am sinful. I am foolish. I am downcast and blind."




Your ordinances are sure and altogether righteous. Forgive my hidden faults.

“Blessed are the poor in Spirit...”


By them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
“…for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”


Quotes taken from Psalm 19

No comments:

Post a Comment