Sunday, May 23, 2010

Good Works

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do GOOD WORKS, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Eph. 2:10

Every day the first time I get in my car to go somewhere I pray; I just feel like I need that prayer coverage. It’s something I’ve done ever since I can remember, and if I don’t, I feel like I feel when I’ve left my watch at home. Anyway, yesterday was no different. First of all I thanked God for who He is. I went over his attributes, reminding MYSELF that He is the God of the universe and I am in awe of Him. I thanked him for being the one who made the galaxies, yet made me, who, compared to that, yesterday morning, seemed so insignificant. I thanked him for being so large, yet caring for the “small” things. I went over more attributes, reminding myself that He was bigger than the God I had envisioned Him lately, which I realized after reading the first chapter of Crazy Love, yesterday morning. I thanked him for giving me all the opportunities he has given me to serve him and then started naming every “work” he has given me lately, including Titus 2 and the young mom’s class I teach every-other Monday night. I asked him to forgive me for neglecting Phil because of all the other hats I wear and then thought, like a dart being thrown through my head, without even saying it audibly, “Lord, which “work” is the most important to you?" "Which one should I pay the most attention to?" "Am I getting this right?" "Am I doing the things I (big I) want to do without hearing your voice telling me to?" "Is there something else you want me to be doing, that my selfishness is keeping me from?” And the guilt over feeling I’m not doing what he wants me to do, kept rising until I remembered a quote I heard Gandhi say in a movie a long time ago. And I said out loud, “God, just help me serve the one who crosses my path.” Immediately, as the words came out of my mouth, I saw a “runner” dressed in his running gear – tight black pants, tight red and black top, red helmet – waiting to “cross my path” at the red light where Campbell Lane intersects Smallhouse Road. I said out loud, “Yes, Lord. He’s crossing my path. He’s the one, right now, who’s crossing my path. Thank-you, Lord for your timing; only you could do this.” And then I held up my hands and smiled. Here was my opportunity to serve this biker, who, against the light, was waiting to see if I would let him go in front of me – so simple, so like God; and so I did.

LET HIM GO IN FRONT OF ME – Isn’t that what “works” are for? We put other's needs in front of our own? They’re God-given opportunities that show God we’re willing to serve the one who crosses our path – that we’re willing to “work” for him, even though the gift he blesses us with, in order to do his work, doesn’t make it feel like work. “For it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.” Phil 2:13 It’s God who works; it’s God who causes you to want to work; it’s God who gives you your purpose.

God does the hard part; my part is easy. God makes the seed grow; I just have to plant it. Every time I serve someone, I’m sowing the seed to the kingdom of God. I’m utilizing my God-given talent for someone else’s benefit and for his glory.

And even further, God BRINGS THE OPPORTUNITIES TO ME; I do not have to look for them, which is something so few Christians understand.

A talent is a natural ability someone has; a gift is something God gives you to fulfill a specific purpose in the body of Christ; Romans 12 lists them. If you don’t know yours, ask someone else, i.e. your best friend, what they think your gift is – what you’re good at – what comes natural to you; they’ll usually tell you and once they do, you’ll say, “So that’s what that is.” And once you recognize it, you’ll see that what God asks of you is not hard, because he blesses you with the ability to do it, if you will do it. God will not ask you to do what his grace has not equipped you to do. “We have different gifts, according to the grace given us.” Rom. 12:6

The gifts are prophesying (proclaiming the word), serving, teaching, encouraging, contributing to the needs of others (giving), leading, and showing mercy. Let me share with you how this works at Greenwood Park with the Burmese. We at Greenwood Park have been given a “God-given” opportunity to do mission work WITHIN THE WALLS OF OUR CHURCH. God brings approximately 75-100 Burmese to our door every month; this started in June during VBS. He has continued to bring them to us monthly ever since. (This is largely because Bowling Green is one of the cities in the nation that has an International Center where refugees come when they enter America.) Anyway, we have this opportunity to use our gift every month. Let me share with you what that looks like.

Prophecying -- proclaiming THE WORD. Even though prophecy today is different from the prophecying in the Old Testament, we still have people who proclaim the word of God -- especially those who have a vision for evangelism.

Serving – We have people, who prepare a meal for them once a month to welcome the newcomers, accept and organize clothes in the refugee center.

Teaching – We have people who agree to teach them the Bible and English as a second language.

Encouraging – We have people who do nothing more than smile, shake their hand and sit by them.

Contributing to the needs of others – We have people who give money…generously.

Leadership – Two of our members, one man and one woman, lead this ministry.

Showing Mercy -- We have people who give clothes, food, toiletries, etc. (whatever they need to survive)…cheerfully.

Every day God gives each of us opportunities to “work” for Him by giving us a “gift” that helps us do it. He brings those opportunities to us. He equips us with the ability (I must say to the level we allow him). He gives us joy when we “work.” One of my favorite quotes is: "Duty will make you work. Love will make you sing while you work."

How do you know when you've discovered your gift? You make what you do look easy -- effortless.

This is a very simple prayer I pray and have prayed since the eighties: “Dear God, give me opportunities that lead me in the direction you would have me go.” If you do not know your gift, I beg you to pray this prayer and watch for a consistency in the opportunities God brings you. You will see a pattern emerge that lets you know your gift. Are you to ignore all the other opportunities that cross your path? No. But if you love God and what you do, you’ll do it willingly, with joy, every time you have the opportunity. Even though it's called a work. you'll call it a gift the more you do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment