Sunday, May 23, 2010

For WE are God's workmanship

"For WE are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10

Last month was the beginning of a new year. We meditated on three things we need to do in order to be who we need to be.

We need to rejoice and be glad in TODAY. Psalm 118:24

We need to forget what is behind, strain toward what is ahead, and press on toward the goal. Phil. 3:13

And we need to live by the Spirit – keep in step with the Spirit. Eph. 3:13

Only when I know who and whose I am, can I know what I need to do. So, who am I?

In 1988 I wrote and taught a series of lessons called He Has Made Me What I Am, which came out of my searching for God, my soul-searching for myself and living in the pit of depression. (These years are recounted in the video series I sell called Becoming a Woman of Peace.) In 1988 I didn't know God; I knew about God. I did not know myself or his plans. I was lost, confused, angry, and sad –searching with no answers. Listen to some of the titles to the plethora of books I read.

I Love me. I Love Me Not. Ordering Your Private World. But How can I? Reach for Your Spiritual Potential. The Cost of Discipleship. How To Win Over Depression. Improving Your Serve. The Stress Myth. Unconditional Love. Man’s Search for Meaning.

I was lost, as depicted in the titles.

It was on a Sunday morning in 1987 while I was singing the third verse to the song The Great Redeemer that the first light bulb came on shedding light on who I was.

Glory be to Him forever!
Endless praises to Christ the Lamb!
He has filled my life with sunshine,
He has made me what I am……..

I had that ah-ha moment that made me ask these questions: “If he has filled my life with sunshine then why am I living in darkness; why am I sad?” “How can I praise God for who I am, when I don’t know who I am?” "Who am I?" is the question I asked. "Who Am I?" is the same question I want us to answer this month in our meditations.

Ephesians 2:10 gives us the answer:

"For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment