Sunday, May 23, 2010

How Titus 2 Got Started

On February 4, 2009 Amy Hughes asked if I would consider writing a daily or weekly devotional for the ladies who had moved away but used to be in my Bible classes. I told her I would if she could find ten women who would agree to read them. She called me back the next day to say she had found twelve; I was amazed. On February 5, 2009, one day later, The Titus 2 Group began as a group on Facebook.

At first I wrote devotionals mostly when the Spirit moved me – maybe once or twice a week – sometimes more often. I wrote basically “parables” about real life, i.e. where I saw God and how he spoke to me everywhere – similar to what I write in my blog, Teresa’s Treasures. Occasionally I wrote lessons I thought the ladies would benefit from that I had usually learned the hard way. People would comment and I would write more lessons.

Then on May 6, 2009 Melanie Smalling started writing Mommie Moments, which was posted every Tuesday and on May 15, 2009, Ruth Hudson started writing Letters from Granna, which was posted every Thursday. Melanie’s articles usually centered around her children’s antics and Ruth’s consisted of the actual letters she has written to her six (now seven) grandchildren for the last ten years. Melanie has retired; Ruth has just retired in 2010.

In May and June my daughter Laura got sick and had a 21 day hospitalization. The Titus 2 Group became my lifeline to sanity and gave me an outlet to vent. My writing consisted mainly of updates about her; this was the time we bonded as a group.

I introduced meditation on May 5, 2009 which added a new dimension. Each week I select a verse we meditate on and write a daily devotional about the words we meditate on for that particular day. It has become a vital part of the group; many women have started meditating for the first time this way.

With concern about Facebook, feeling The Titus 2 Group would best be suited somewhere else, I decided to move us to a new location, choosing NING as our new home. On September 9, 2009 The Titus 2 Group became http://titus2.ning.com which left our membership, which had been over 200, at zero; today we have over 150 members.


On January 1, 2010, with the start of a new year, the Spirit led me to make further changes. The Titus 2 Group became simply Titus 2, the bi-line “Loving the Lord” became “Living in the Present Moment” and the colors of the main page went from pink to black. We now have several writers, coming from within the group – many of which already have their own individual blog spots. One such writer is Lynn Mosher who has her own ministry centering around her own site called Heading Home. The features we now have to offer include the Verse of the Week, Question of the Week, Quote of the Day, Blog Posts, Groups [Let’s Read, Let’s Eat], Prayer Requests, Photos, My Story, Just Ask Me, The One Year Bible, Music and Videos.

To date, God has led us down a path only He knows where we’re going. Where we go from here is entirely in His hands. Much like when Titus 2 began, I have learned what's a thought today may be reality tomorrow. I know that’s just how God operates.

For now this is where we are. I’m so grateful you’re with us on the journey.

Grace and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment