Sunday, May 23, 2010

Prepared in Advance

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus, to do good works, which God prepared IN ADVANCE for us to do." Eph. 2:10


One year ago yesterday Amy Hughes asked me to consider writing a daily or weekly devotional for all the ladies in my Bible classes who had, at one time or another, had me as their teacher but had moved away. I told her I would consider it if she could find ten women who would read them. She called me the next day and said she had. So, one year ago today, February 5, Titus 2 was born.


There is a verse in Isaiah, Isaiah 48:3, that says, “I foretold the former things long ago, my mouth announced them and I made them known; then suddenly I acted, and they came to pass.” I can, somewhat, relate to this with regard to Titus 2. He knew from the beginning what He had planned in 2009, but I didn’t.


This is what God says to Israel in the entire chapter of Isaiah 48.


Verses 1-8 He accuses them of hypocrisy in that which is good and stubbornness in that which is evil, while telling them he is God alone.


Verses 9-11 He assures them that their deliverance would be purely for the sake of His name and not for anything they might have done.


Verses 12-15 He encourages them to depend solely on his power and promises.


Verses 16-19 He shows them that even though it was their sin that brought them into captivity, it would be his grace that brings them out.


Verses 20-22 He proclaims their release, because of His redemption, but no peace for the wicked.


God is God alone. We are delivered for the sake of His Name. We depend on his power, his promises. We are saved by His grace. He redeems us. Doesn't this sound like , "For we are GOD’S workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared IN ADVANCE for us to do?"


Isaiah 46: 9-10 says: “Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me. I make known the end from the beginning, From ancient times, what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, And I will do all that I please.


In my opinion, celebrating Titus 2’s first anniversary, at the same time the book club is reading Crazy Love is no coincidence. Frances Chan asks us in the fourth paragraph in the first chapter to watch a video called the “Awe Factor” – to gaze at God in silence. Then he asks if we're speechless, amazed, and humbled after watching it.


My sisters, I was amazed, speechless and humbled then and I am amazed, speechless and humbled now, that the God who created the universe, who delivered the Israelites from captivity, who makes me speechless, amazed and humbled after seeing the size of his universe, considers me HIS workmanship. I am surprised that from the very beginning of time, I have been the clay in his hands….but I have and YOU have too.


I want to remind us once again, “For WE are GOD'S workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which GOD prepared IN ADVANCE for US to do.” Isn't that amazing!


You are beautiful beyond description

Too marvelous for words,

Too wonderful for comprehension,

Like nothing ever seen or heard.

Who can grasp your infinite wisdom,

Who can fathom the depth of your love?

You are beautiful beyond description,

Majesty enthroned above.

And I stand, I stand in awe of You,

I stand, I stand in awe of you;

Holy God, to whom all paise is due,

I stand in awe of You.

No comments:

Post a Comment