Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Pure in Heart

"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God." Matthew 5:8



The heart must be pure, undivided, at peace in order to see God.


Much like Martha as she scurried and hurried around in the kitchen, worried and upset about many things, I suffer from anxiety also. Yes, I know you know that I know anxiety is wrong; it’s sinful. Yet, even knowing it’s wrong, I have it. One doctor who was treating me for it described it as being all over the map. My thoughts race from one thought to another thought to another thought to another thought until my brain is absolutely polluted with mental chatter, exhausted from the mental calisthenics. Martha and I are scattered, while Mary is focused. Mary just sat at Jesus’ feet listening, seeing him because she was free from distraction, i.e., pure in heart.


A distracted heart is what Satan wants. Why? Because the pure in heart will see God and that's not his intention.


Do you want to see God? Then be singular in your focus. Fix your eyes on Jesus and nothing else. Don't let life's worries, riches and pleasures, that keep the soil from being fruitful, take over. Put your hand to the plow and don’t look back. Determine to see God in everything you do today. Start by concentrating on this particular section of St. Patrick's Breastplate Prayer and then put it into practice.




Christ with me,

Christ before me,

Christ behind me,

Christ in me,

Christ beneath me,

Christ above me,

Christ on my right,

Christ on my left,

Christ when I lie down,

Christ when I sit down,

Christ when I arise,

Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,

Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,

Christ in every eye that sees me,

Christ in every ear that hears me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The entire prayer can be read here.

No comments:

Post a Comment