Sunday, May 23, 2010

Living by the Spirit (part one)

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Galatians 5:25

In my own personal experience the one question I’ve been asked more than any other, by someone desiring a closer relationship with God is, “What does it mean to be led by the Spirit – to listen to the Spirit’s voice?" How will I know when I hear it?” Christians basically know the Spirit comforts them, but other than that, they know little more. This is the best advice I can give.

First, of all believe the Holy Spirit is a person; He is very real; and He does not dwell only “within” the pages of the Bible, He dwells in you. The Holy Spirit is a member of the God-head – God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Even though he has been described as the silent member, he is only silent if you don’t allow him to speak to you. That's what quenching the Spirit means.

The Greek word for Holy Spirit is pneuma which means “a movement” of air (a gentle blast) a) of the wind, hence the wind itself b) breath of nostrils or mouth. BLB (To see the complete definition please go to http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G41....) This is a complete definition that sheds so much light on who He is.

Like the wind, I cannot see him; I can see the effects of him. I can truly see him working in my life, e.g. I can hear him, I can feel his presence, I can see changes in and around me, taking place. Believe that He is a person YOU CAN have a RELATIONSHIP with – not just a “kinda-sorta” relationship, but a vital on-going one.

Be in the word. The word of God may be where you are introduced to the Holy Spirit, but that is not where he resides. “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Acts 2:38 He resides IN YOU. I remember vividly as a child, hearing debates as to whether the Holy Spirit was the gift or whether the Bible was the gift the Holy Spirit gave. People who agreed that the Bible was the gift, generally strayed away from allowing him to dwell within them out of fear of losing control and “doing what the denominations did.” Maybe this is a judgment call on my part, but I believe this belief made well-meaning, God-fearing Christians “have a relationship with THE BOOK” rather than having a relationship with the the Godhead, particularly the Holy Spirit. The Spirit was in the beginning; the Spirit revealed scripture. The Spirit interprets scripture to me today. Paul told the Corinthians, “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him” – but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God….no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God.” I must have the Spirit of God to understand the will of God. Spiritual truths are spiritually discerned. It is impossible for carnal man to understand spiritual truths.

I must be in the word, but the word of God does not create the Holy Spirit; it creates faith. “Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.” Romans 10:17 (KJV) Here is where the word of God, faith and the Holy Spirit meet:

“The stronger our faith, the stronger God’s spirit is in our lives. Not because our weak faith limits the might of God’s power, but because our weak faith prevents us from stepping out to be empowered.” Doris Black, Reach for Your Spiritual Potential The faith that allows us to step out, is strengthened as we experience the Spirit’s power. The Spirit becomes the “wind” beneath our wings.

Pray. Ask God to show you how the Spirit is working in your life. Ask God to open your ears that
you might hear spiritual truths. Ask God to “hit you over the head” with a voice within your head, that say’s “THIS IS THE HOLY SPIRIT TALKING TO YOU; LISTEN TO HIM.” And then HAVE THE COURAGE TO BELIEVE IT’S THE SPIRIT’S VOICE YOU HEAR.” You have to start somewhere, if in doubt that the Spirit does speak to you. You may be scared to death at first, wondering how will I know, what will I do, how will I respond if I think it’s his voice. LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN and relax. The Spirit does not speak in chaos. He speaks usually in a still small voice.” There are times, though, I must admit, he has yelled rather loudly at me; but not in the beginning. Your learning to listen to the Spirit’s voice is much like learning to listen to your newborn baby’s cry. You hear; you listen; you learn to discern his cries. Do I think you can audibly hear the Spirit’s voice? No, I do not. I think you hear him in your head and heart. But, I believe he CAN speak through another individual to give you an answer to a prayer you’ve been praying, that leads you in the direction he would have you go. Prayer prompts the Spirit’s power. They are inseparable.

Listen to that inner voice you may have never recognized is his. I remember years ago I said in a ladies Bible class that I knew God had given me this particular typewriter. I had a lady come up to me after class asking how I knew it was from God. I told her I knew by the way it had come to me. I had been praying for one, God knew it and brought it to me. I didn’t even have to look for it; my brother-in-law gave it to me without even knowing why. A few years later this same lady asked me, while I was taking prayer requests, to pray for her baby to be born that Saturday, three weeks before the baby was due. She said her husband was going to be off from work, since it was the week-end, and that she was just plain tired of carrying Jakey -- he just needed to be born that day; so I did. She, indeed, went into labor at 8:00 that Saturday morning. However, Jakey was born with complications. When I went to visit her the next day, she told me she had been awakened all through the night hearing scriptures in her head. She had heard certain words repeated over and over again, several different times-- that even though she knew her baby’s life was threatened she had had unbelievable peace. I asked her if she knew she was hearing the Spirit’s voice – that he was the one speaking to her, comforting her throughout the night. She said she didn’t--that it had never occurred to her. She is now a very spirit-led, spirit-filled spiritual giant. She credits that night as being the start of learning to recognize the Spirit’s voice.

(part one)

No comments:

Post a Comment