Sunday, May 23, 2010

Why meditate?

I posted this entry on May 5, 2009 which is when I introduced meditation to the group; this post explains why I introduced it.

The Titus 2 Group is on a journey which I implied in my February 6, 2009 post when I wrote in reply to Sharon Gass’s question, “Where are we going?” This is what I wrote: “Whereas God knows the end from the beginning, I can only look back and see the beginning from the end.” My sisters, in this part of our journey, with God giving me just enough light for the step I’m on, I believe He is calling me to offer you more as we go deeper and further. To do that I am introducing meditation. Meditation enables us to listen to God--not to someone else's interpretation.

Each week we’re going to meditate on one verse. Yes, only one verse. On Monday you will receive the verse of the week directly into your mailbox along with the words to meditate on that day. (If for some reason you don’t receive it, tell me.)

For example: This is an example of what you will receive for the entire week, starting May 11.

MONDAY
“YOU ARE THE SALT OF THE EARTH. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.” Matthew 5:13

TUESDAY
“You are the salt of the earth. BUT IF THE SALT LOSES ITS SALTINESS,

WEDNESDAY
“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, HOW CAN IT BE MADE SALTY AGAIN?”

THURDAY
“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? IT IS NO LONGER GOOD FOR ANYTHING

FRIDAY
“You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything EXCEPT TO BE THROWN OUT AND TRAMPLED BY MEN.”

I may also include some brief questions inspiring you to think. But, I may not. Some verses will be long. Some will be very brief.

By Friday, hopefully, you will have memorized the entire verse and know where it is. You will have concentrated on different words of the same scripture each day, letting the Spirit reveal to you what each word means. You will have given the Spirit the opportunity to reveal to you the words you most need to hear. You will have allowed the Spirit to define words for you in ways you’ve never heard before. You will have opened yourself up to the Spirit’s leading. You will have a verse to listen to, that’s already on your mind, when your day tumbles in. You will hear God’s voice when you can’t sleep at night.

*I know this is insultingly simple, as Mike Tanaro (our preacher) says, but I believe this is the first new thing God is calling us to do and I anticipate the benefits.

Why am I choosing something that’s so insultingly simple? 1) Because Satan would have us think that meditating on only one verse a day is not beneficial. 2) Because I know the power of God’s inspired Word. 3) Because I know I’m leading very busy women who think they don’t have enough time to spend time with God. 4) Because I have experienced the feeling of guilt you feel when you don’t 5) Because I believe this is the best way to learn scripture. 6) Because I believe this is one of the ways we can come to know the mind of God. 7) Because I believe this is the best way to learn how to meditate.

Meditation is hiding the word of God in your heart—staring, contemplating, musing, pondering, considering, gazing. It’s letting the word of God speak to you so deeply that it becomes a part of you. It’s absorbing it into your soul. "You will learn the most by listening carefully to the Word that seeks admission to your heart." Henri Nowen says (one of my favorite authors).

Last week Donna Vissman asked “How does one prevent sin?” And I answered with the abridged version by quoting Psalm 119:11. “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” My sisters I’m not asking us to learn scripture for the sake of knowing scripture. I’m asking us to learn scripture for the sake of knowing God. And God is love. If “KNOWLEDGE PUFFS UP, BUT LOVE BUILDS UP,” as Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 8:1, I want knowledge of God to teach me the love of God, so I can love both God and my neighbor. If I know scripture for knowledge’ sake, I become arrogant, with my chin held so high I cannot see my neighbor.

So this is why we meditate. I hope it becomes a part of your daily routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment